Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Early to bed, early to rise makes mommy very unhappy

Ever since the Daylight Savings time change Sunday before last Jackson has gone from waking up at 6:30 or so to 5 or 5:30. Since I do transcription after he goes to bed until around 11:30 this is not a pleasing development. I've tried putting him to bed later, I used to put him down around 7:15 and now I put him down closer to 8, but that hasn't worked.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get him to wake up later? Am I just doomed to wake up this early until he is old enough to get up on his own? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or even tips how to survive with such little sleep.

4 comments:

Lacey said...

We have had the same problem at my house. I thought that it would kill me. What I did for a bit... put them to bed earlier. I know it sounds funny, but for us it has worked. I pretended that the time change didn't happen (in my mind) and put Necia down at 6:30. At least she was getting a normal amount of sleep-and I could also go to bed earlier, so that when 5am came, I'd had the same amount of sleep. I moved her naps up also. She is still napping a lot earlier even though bedtime is back to 7:30.

Another thing that we have in kids rooms are darkening drapes, they are wonderful. That way, the sun doesn't come in and wake sleeping babies.

Alice said...

I like the idea of putting him to bed earlier. We did that when my kids were younger, I'm a huge fan of early bedtimes.

I second the blackout shades too- we have roller ones, it makes it really dark in their rooms (well, it used to, we haven't needed them since moving).

Alice said...

If he will got to bed an hour earlier, could you use that time to do transcription, or is it too much of a pain to break it up into two work periods?

Then you wouldn't have to get up quite so early to get it done.

Being sleep deprived is no good- I don't function well without enough sleep.

:)

Emily said...

Mine have the same problem. And it was two-fold because every one of them was sick with something when the switch occurred. We had barfing, coughing, runny noses, sneezing...and sleep just was not a priority. My plan was to ease them into it, but my kids are creatures of habit and no matter what time I put them down, they get up at the same time everyday. So I finally just started them back at the regular 8:00 p.m. time. And I think they're getting the hang of it. Maybe it's working because they're so worn out from being sick - I don't know, but getting up an hour earlier is not cool in my book. 'Cuz mommy + sleep = world peace.